Thursday, August 19, 2010

All I Have to Do is Dream



Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.


That is my favorite poem, penned many years ago by the wonderful Langston Hughes.  I think it speaks to me because it is how I live my life- clinging to dreams and making sure that my field doesn’t become, you know, barren and frozen and stuff.  However, right now I am sorry to say that I am dreamless. I have nothing to dream about right now, and it’s definitely giving me pause. I don’t mean I’m not dreaming when I sleep (don’t you go crazy when that happens?); I still have totally whackadoodle dreams of the nocturnal variety and enjoy the heck out of analyzing them when I wake up. No, what I mean is that I have nothing about which to day dream, to fantasize in the here-and-now.

Now some people will be shaking their heads at this, wondering how on earth I can be whining about having everything so damn perfect in my life that I have nothing left to want for. Um…no. That’s not what I’m saying at all. Don’t get me wrong; my life right now is so far better than it has been in ages that even I am a little disgusted at myself for complaining about this. But truth be told, it is a big deal for me to not have anything or anyone to jones after, and it’s having a definite deleterious effect on my life!

Since I was a wee girl, I have put myself to sleep at night by telling myself stories, in effect fantasizing. But we’re not talking “Three Bears” or even “Wendy Does…um, Walla Walla” here. I come up with a scenario of some sort that I want to happen and in elaborate and vivid detail, I play it out in my head. These can last for as short as one night or literally for months and months. I’ve always done it; it really is the only way I know how to fall asleep. And, okay, I will confess that a good number of these fantasies *do* revolve around whomever I’m into at the moment, be it a celebrity (Matthew Morrison was featured prominently for a while) or someone I have a crush on, though to be honest, right now there are more folks in the “people I should not be fantasizing about” category.

But here’s the thing- the scenario is always something that could actually happen. Now I am sure even those among you who think I’m cute as a button are going, “Right, Wen. Like you could nail Matt Morrison. In your…er, dreams!” And, you’re probably right. But I can set up a scenario (my journalist friend has to do a “Glee” set interview and brings me along), a reason for us to meet (the craft services line, where I impress him with my foodie knowledge), a reason for us to continue talking (I mention that I was the teacher who, at the Paley Festival, asked him who inspired him), a reason for him to want to see me off set (he wants me to teach him how I make my awesome panzanella) and from there, well, let’s just fade to a nice, safe black shall we? However, I basically could not keep deluding myself that Matt and I were going to meet up much less hook up, particularly when I saw the kinds of girls with whom he keeps company.

And like I said, most of the time these fantasies revolve around someone I know, and right now there is just nobody I can/should be thinking that way about. SO…what am I left with? I have tried dreaming about jobs, but considering my current unemployed status and how much I love teaching, coming up with awesome curricular ideas is just torturing myself. I have tried designing jewelry in my head, but I’m so visual with that particular hobby that I just give myself a headache trying to precisely picture what I might be making. Oh, and you’ll love this: I tried blogging in my head the other night, but that just made me hop out of bed at 1:00 AM so that I could jot stuff down and not forget it. Kind of counterproductive, right? And I’m still not getting to the root of the problem here: I have nothing to wish for, nothing to hope for, nothing to dream about.  My bird is definitely hobbled.

I would love to end this post with something pithy and wise, but honestly- I’ve got nothing. I’m having trouble sleeping, I’m unhappy about my lack of passion for my life overall right now (though I can’t complain about the contentment factor!), and I am not enjoying having nobody in particular drift across my mental storyboard. But, this has given me the opportunity to turn it back around to you, my friends and readers: what do you dream about? What fantasies feed your emotional well-being? Oh, and I’ll leave it up to you as to how naughty you want to make it, but keep in mind that my mom and my kids may be reading this. Alternately, if you’re not comfortable sharing your innermost secrets with my reading public (but hey! We don’t judge here at It’s a Wendyful Life!), tell us how you fall asleep at night.

15 comments:

  1. Lately I've been daydreaming a lot about my Nightingale Twins world, and all the different ways I could go with that. I've been especially inspired by a friend's boyfriend who is a very contented English teacher and also a musician. He seems to me to have struck the exact right balance, with both a career he loves and an artistic outlet which lets him be as creative as he needs to be. So I dream up things like, when I'm a storyteller (because I'm taking a storytelling class this fall!), where I will be telling these stories about these twins, and the songs that will go with the stories, and the clothes I'll wear, and what my audience will look like...

    As for how I fall asleep at night, that varies. Sometimes I'll put on a movie and just listen to it. Other times it's music. Other times I go through song lyrics in my head - often running from the beginning of a show until I fall asleep. And then sometimes I just count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kimmy- I've tried counting,but it makes me anxious (math anxiety, I kid you not). I got used to falling asleep with the TV on when I was living with Ari, but I know that's not really a good idea AND it screws with my actual dreaming process.
    Oh, and I think storyteller would be an AMAZING job for you!!! The librarian at my old-old school did storytelling, too, and she was SUCH a huge asset to the school and for the kids. If you want, I can put you in touch with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, this is going to sound so cliche; but I don't think I have anything I dream about, because I'm usually going after what I want or have decided that particular dream wasn't worth it/possible and discarded it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you are over-thinking it. Or perhaps our standards are different. I want not for dreams, but for hours to make those dreams happen.

    Things I dream about off the top of my head:

    - Watching more movies
    - Getting a new DVD player
    - Cleaning my apartment
    - Going to more Meetup.com meetings (there SOOO many good ones)
    - Seeing my friends more
    - Mastering this Mac computer
    - Reading more fiction
    - Reading more non-fiction
    - Making it through ever archived episode of This American Life
    - Watching every single TED talk ever created
    - Going hiking
    - Learning to cook
    - Getting bigger, faster, strong
    - Getting better at talking to girls
    - Going to bed earlier
    - Getting more physical therapy
    - Eating blueberries (the season is upon us and I have yet to bend it to my will)
    - Getting roast corn at the next street fair
    - Learning a new programming language (or seven)
    - Meeting someone I can hold hands with
    - Coming up with an amazing software idea that will rock this world

    I think perhaps you are thinking that dreams have to be big? I have a friend like that - he only wants things he can be "proud" of. He looks back on his life and all he sees is that he has not accomplished anything worth-while. Yet, he fails to see all of the successes that he has under his belt.

    Anyway, just some food for though - hopefully this will spark some ideas on your end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ben - *laugh* Me? Overthink?! Nah... ;)
    I think our definition of dreams is a bit different. Although I really appreciate your list of "dreams" (for all of our head-butting, I would like to do 16 of those EXACT same things like, YESTERDAY!), I would call those "wants," not dreams.
    But NO! I am NOT interested in "big" dreams. I mean, c'mon - I have accomplished a HECK of a lot in my life and while I am not by any means done yet, I could die tomorrow, more than happy with what I have done and left in my wake. Between all the students I have taught and my own children and the money I helped raise for charity and the people whose lives I have positively influenced... my life is nothing short of a blessing, and I don't want you (or anyone) to think for a second that I feel differently.
    I kind of thought you, of all people, would get it though: what I am lacking right now is something or someone to feel *passionate* about. I am content beyond what I ever could have thought possible, but there is just something missing...and I am defining that as a lack of something to dream about, something to aim for.
    AH HA! "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for;" you remember that, right? Well, right now I have nothing to reach for. Does this make more sense now?
    Also, if you hook your stove back up, I'll come teach you how to cook. I can even teach you how to roast your own corn AND what to do with blueberries (they are particularly awesome this season, fyi :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Pet - That doesn't sound cliched at all; that sounds like YOU. :) And you've known me long enough to know that what you describe is usually *my* M.O. as well, but something is just not fuctioning in its usual way in my psyche. I figured that maybe by blogging about it and getting the input of my friends, I could begin working on it. I feel like I'm making some progress, thanks to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Wendy,

    There is not a day that goes by where I feel super lucky that I have a seemly endless amount of programming work to attack. And, the truth is, 90% of the programming that I do is *outside* my actual job (at work, I don't do all that much programming anymore - doing more User Experience design). That said, I am *also* lucky that my passion is not necessarily tied to any job in a significant way.

    Because of this, I don't think it necessarily clicked at first as to what you were getting at.

    I don't know how one goes about generating new passions. This is not something I've had to do - I loved programming and working out for as long as I can remember.

    Perhaps you should try writing a book or a screen play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ben, I am assuming you meant "...where I don't feel super lucky that I have...," but I know what you mean, and - as always- it's good to hear about how much you love what you do (you have email to that effect, btw).

    I think you hit on something I hadn't even considered... I wonder if ALL of this is just because I'm not teaching! You know that I am every bit as passionate about that as you are about programming, so imagine how you'd feel if you couldn't program. That's how I feel about not being able to teach. The other things I'm enjoying doing right now (watching movies, beading, reading, working out, my new fledgling attempt at doing yoga) are not really in my heart enough to be "passions," I think.

    I hadn't even considered this before (as usual, I think I was too focused on the wrong thing), but maybe all of this is just a function of not getting to do what I love best. And maybe, instead of whining about my lack of job, I need to just get out there and find a way to teach.

    And no no no, Nadel- *you're* the one who's supposed to be writing a book. No turning this one back around on ME. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um...can anyone tell me why THIS post came out grey when all of my other ones came out the nice salmon color I wanted them to??!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've mentioned how unusual it is that I dream due to "wonky brain sleep disorder" (*official medical name) and then on the rare when I do, most of the time it's more nightmare'ish reliving past events such as my fathers death, what happened on Pico Almanzor, the Cambrian Rally etc etc

    Certainly don't get the cool celebrity porn dreams :( Although maybe that's due to in the fuzzywuzzy dream world, it's easy to confuse Keira Knightley for a broomstick and who the hell can think naughty thoughts about that!


    As for dreams as in the almost daydreaming way of falling to sleep, yup right with you there and sadly also with you on the missing that thing to get all passionate about.

    The day job is just a job, cool gadgets and shiny jewellery but just a job (oooh but a bit of intrigue going on right now, "the mystery of the missing gold shavings..."), the other job is scaring the crap out of me, we start filming in 10 days time and I'm soooooo not ready. Maybe if I'd not been dropped into the deep end and had chance to enjoy each step without the pressure then I could be falling asleep dreaming of collecting my first BAFTA and Emmy (not "or" but "and", I'll get both)

    And cant seem to get enthusiastic about any potential love life either. I'd love to have that kiddy feeling even if its just a crush on someone at work I see across the canteen, heck I'd even settle for being curled up with that sick feeling having had her tell me she thinks of me as a brother and wants my advice on a guy she likes, but nope, I bet tonight I'll be laying in bed getting sleepy and the most steamy thing I can think of is did I remember to put the recycling out - despite the fact that last night I had dinner with a seriously hot 22yr old who told me she misses looking into my eyes blah blah blah.

    But it doesn't matter, wherever my mojo has wandered off to, I hope it's happy there, I'll just snap my fingers and go out and find something new to light my fire. In the mean time, I've got two godkids to take on vacation this weekend. Hope you get your ooomph back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know it feels very deadening when one is used to looking forward to/hoping for a particular type of human interaction, and then has to give up on it for reasons of access, sanity and/or the fact that the interaction occurred and sucked beyond all human description. It makes one (well, me) feel very rudderless. Sometimes one enjoys other things; sometimes it's put one foot in front of the other time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine have to do with opening my own little shop where I can showcase my jewelry and my love of crafts, be my own boss, and still get the social needs that I want. A little coffee shop with an art gallery that we sell jewelry out of. It's something that is a possibilty but still quite out of my reach, so I do know what you mean.

    When Barry and I were seeing each other there was a little story he used to tell me during our marathon phone conversations or computer chats about us having the perfect little white picket fence, 2.5 children (never did get that comment), a dog and a cat, the perfect life. Once again, something that I knew wasn't actually going to happen but something that wasn't completely out of reach.

    Growing up I wanted to be everything from a teacher (which I did for a while) to a forensic pathologist (way before CSI became popular) to a wedding planner (so glad I didn't go into that) to an artist (which I feel I am doing somewhat of now). I never knew exactly what I wanted but I knew there was something out there that I wanted that was the perfect fit for me.

    I do believe that you will find another dream soon, you have too much going for you not to find one soon, your brain may just need a slight bit of a downtime for a while and then it will be back to the Wendy with the goals and dreams we all know and love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I didn't get to these yesterday, guys!

    @Tony- Oh DO tell about the mystery of the gold shavings! Sounds like a Sherlock Holmes story...Robert Downey Jr, where are you when we need you?! ;) As for the filming in Africa gig, I *know* you can do it. You are seriously one of the most capable people I know; you have this AMAZING knack for thinking on your feet and just doing what needs to be done.
    Do I even want to ask about your dinner date? Probably not... :) As for where your mojo took a detour, I don't know. Part of your extensive charm is that for all of your worldliness and panache, you are one of the most down-to-earth fellows I've ever met. You have sincerity and smarts to spare, and there really isn't a better or more loyal friend in the world. All of those things HAVE to count for something, and I continue to believe that the only reason things haven't worked out for you perfectly yet (romantically or professionally) is because the right girl and the right gig just haven't come along yet. When they do... look out. ;)

    @Flewellyn - *iggle* I love your noms de plume! You totally nailed it as far as what I'm going through, but after giving it some more thought last night I've kind of come to a different place. As I said to Ben, I really do think a lot of this has to do with not being able to engage in my passion (teaching) and maybe not as much to do with my lack of romance/love/sex. The other place I came to, which I haven't mentioned yet, is one of peace. As I *did* say, my life is SO good right now; what if I just took that for what it is and am happy about it? What if I just feel the contentment for a while and let the rest take care of itself in due time? Not a mindset I've ever attained in the past but one definitely worth pursuing, I think. I'm basically a very happy, well-adjusted person (particularly considering events in my recent past), and to just take that for granted and not enjoy it is to fall into exactly the kind of mindlessness (or lack of mindfulness) that always, ALWAYS causes me harm. Food for thought...

    @Jenn- First of all, I wicked miss you! :) Secondly, Barry's comment re. the "2.5 kids" refers to the idea that the average number of kids per household in the US is 2.5; though obviously none of us has half a kid (although sometimes Max...kidding! Kidding!), it IS the national average. Finally, I look at your dream of having your own shop as very attainable! You have the talent in spades, and you're gaining the business experience to make that dream a reality. You're young, too, so you have many, many years to work towards your dream (and let's face it- the dreams we work towards are far better than the ones that come easily to us). Just don't give up and don't sell yourself short. You are an amazing artist and an even more amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wendy, do you have an email addy?
    Also, I think I've deleted you off facebook, or done something wacky. I tried to set up a list to exclude from my Africa posts and now I can't even see my own comments and about 30 people are missing off my friends list but everything is there when I view things on the iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Tony - No, in this day and age, I do not have an email address. ;) It's my AOL screen name (don't want to put it here for fear of 'bots); if you need more info, just pop on AIM next time I'm on and I'll give it to you.

    Facebook name is Wendy Lieb Schapiro, if that helps; I'll also send you a friend request, if it lists you as not being a friend. :)

    Dork. :P

    ReplyDelete